Another week's holiday in Devon


We recently spent another week's holiday in Devon and despite enjoying some sunny days we could feel the whisper of autumn in the air. Devon has been a favourite holiday destination of ours since we went there on honeymoon many, many years ago. Not only is is a beautiful county but the ease of getting there, being the neighbouring county is always an advantage!



We stayed in the holiday cottage we have been visiting since 1995! We have so more memories and the children have grown up with the height of the neigbouring trees! Some of the playground equipment has stood the test of time, while the climbing frame has been turned into a climber for honeysuckle!


 This time we explored more of the north coast of Devon, we realised that one of the reasons we love Devon  and Cornwall so much is due to their river estuaries, all of which are so beautiful and unique.

Looking towards Appledore from Instow
The opposite view looking towards Instow

This sand dune looks a good place for a roll!

Amazing seascape part of the North Burrows Nature Reserve



The appearance of dew on the grass means a return to wearing wellington boots on early morning walks although this doesn't mean that it isn't a good opportunity to stop and play football!



 Above are views of the north coast from Bude, just over the border in Cornwall. Some of the Cornish beaches this summer were shut due to gridlock caused by the high number of visitors a consequence of the popularity of TV drama Poldark.  Back home in West Bay we still have a large number of visitors coming to see the Broadchurch location from as far away as Australia, despite the last programme being aired last year.


Dartmoor National Park is another area that always have to visit. It provideds such a contrast to the coast with it's open moorlands and deep river valleys tors (outcrops of  high rock on top of a hill), dartmoor ponies and leats  ( artifical water courses.)







 This part of Dartmoor was ablaze with bright yellow gorse ,although this is such a familiar plant of the coastline I have never seen it such numbers!




As we headed home we made a detour to visit another familiar river estuary, this time on the South Coast between Noss Mayo and Newton Ferrers, this is a bit more sheltered than those river estuaries further north.


 Hope you enjoyed the change of scenery too, wishing you a happy and healthy week.
Sarah x

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. We also visited and holidayed in Devon and Cornwall when we lived in Weymouth. I'd love to visit the Eden Centre again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have visited the Eden Centre a few times over the years. It is definitely worth s return visit.

      Delete
  2. It is all so beautiful. Everything that I love. I wish I lived there. We are Poldark fans and watch the seasons over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos. No wonder you love the area so much. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I presume you make England very desirable for a vacation spot with these gorgeous photos tempting us! :) I love your photos. My husband did one of those genetics tests and it came out he is 79% England,Wales. I told him we need to make a trip to his ancestral land. We saw broadchurch but I Poldark is my favorite. The trees are changing colors here and the fields are looking bare now that
    the farmers are harvesting. The temps are marvelous this time of the year and lovely to see the birds flying over us migrating South.Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, some very familiar scenes in this post! Glad you had an enjoyable week Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so surprised at beaches being closed and gridlock on the roads - how do local people manage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there is too many people we retreat into our homes, and only come out at the times of day when there is no one around!

      Delete
  7. Oh the beauty. Heaven indeed. Those rock walls and the patchwork mosaic across the countryside. Yes, that must be heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Devon where we have been more than once in the past. Thank you for your wonderful photos. I recognize Dartmoor with the bridges and rocks in the water. Snarf had a great time there like your little fluffy friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the pictures bought back happy memories for you. Sarah x

      Delete
  9. What lovely photos! It looks like you had a fantastic time, and with fabulous weather too. In my opinion, Devon is one of the best places in the UK - what could be better than being able to explore beautiful Dartmoor. It must be great to live so nearby to such a great destination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this post! I loved Devon when I was there a year ago, and also Cornwall. I have to confess to being one of those tourists clogging up the roads looking for some of the filming locations from Poldark. And I was in West Bay to see the famous Broadchurch filming location. Beautiful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you managed a visit to West Bay on your Cornish visit! I hope ypu particularly enjoyed Port Issac as well as the Poldark locations. The tourists were greater this year to Poldark locations, as more marketing had been done to promote them!

      Delete
  11. Looks like you had some good weather for your holiday, Sarah. Photos of Bude and Dartmoor brought back fond memories for me, such a lovely part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos of Devon. I have fond memories of a short stay in Devon as a child. I love the Dartmoor ablaze the yellow gorse, and the stone walls, and pretty scenery right down to the coast.
    I would love to visit these parts. I have heard the roads in Cornwall are at gridlock with traffic quite a bit in summer anyway, not to even mention Poldark seekers! My parents lived in coastal town (in Australia) and summer was a nightmare!
    Lovely to have Tavi on holidays with you, looking as cute as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely part of the country - we keep meaning to go there at sometime but always find ourselves heading up North! Lovely photos though - makes it even more tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Sarah, good morning! First of all, I want to thank you for visiting my blog. It was lovely to see you there! I just love this region that I've only been able to encounter through British TV shows! We hope to visit this part of the world one day before we grow too old! Tavi sure looks happy in the sand and open spaces and the Dartmoor ponies are familiar to me thanks to a lovely Instagram friend who frequents them. Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My niece lived in Instow.
    Love that stone bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!