Looking out to sea

Living by the sea there is rarely a day that goes by when I don't spend at least a few minutes just looking out to sea and it's not difficult to understand why with enticing views such as these...




No sooner had I posted my previous post about signs of Spring in the garden when the snow appeared. I always find it looks so strange against the sea as it is so unusual!








You may recall this bungalow from the first series of Broadchurch since then it is even closer to the edge of the cliff.

What have been doing this month? Apart from moments of looking out at sea and dog walking we have been busy working on future plans for the visitor centre where we volunteer. It can be fascinating and time consuming carrying out research for future exhibitions. To understand life aboard old sailing boats I have been reading Ocean Life in Old Sailing Days e-book by John D Whidden. It is an autobiography recounting the tales of his sea journeys carried out over 25 years  travelling around the world in the 19th century it is interesting to read the detailed descriptions of countries and ports visited and compare them with today.

At the same time I also came across the marine paintings of Ivan Aivazovsky a 19th century Russian romantic marine painter whose paintings have quite accidentally provided a wonderful accompaniment to the book. This video shows 729 of his paintings - even if you have just a few minutes I do recommend looking out to sea with Ivan. Have you ever come across any of his paintings before?


The Sea by Bryon W Proctor.
The sea! The sea! The open sea,
The blue, the fresh, the ever free!
Without a mark, without a hound,
It runneth the earth's wide regions round.


Until next time, take care.
Sarah x

Comments

  1. The snow certainly changes the scene, Sarah. Beautiful either way though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos as always Sarah. Your research sounds fascinating. I look forward to popping into your visitor centre one of these days. No snow here, but when it does fall I agree it looks out of place against the sea. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know when you are passing by it would be great to meet! Sarah x

      Delete
  3. I almost feel the sea salt and breeze on my face! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at the video of Ivan's paintings. I'm in awe! The colours are beautiful. I love the way he paints the sun shining through the clouds, that soft haziness, the stormy waves. So beautiful. I shall be going back to have another look as there's a lot to look at. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too haven't watched the video all the way through, I am planning a relaxing evening sometime to enjoy it properly.

      Delete
  5. Sarah, greetings!

    Growing up in Southern California, I always saw the sea as a warm and calming place. However, when I moved to New England and lived across the street from the ocean, I got to see the ocean in winter, with lacey white shores of snow. No matter what season, the open seas bring wonder. Good to see you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right - viewing the sea as a background to snowfall is rather surreal. I would love to live by the ocean - even the salt air smell immediately lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I saw your post and wondered how the winter was in your place by the sea. Hoping maybe warm. I see it is not in winter. Oh well, I still think it is so beautiful there. Donna@gather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living by the sea is a dream for many people and it will remain just that for most. Such lovely photos!! Beautiful place!! Why is the bungalow from the first series of Broadchurch getting closer to the edge of the cliff?? Erosion ? So, there are people living in the bungalow? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks for sharing the beauty around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it is due to coastal erosion, after living here you start to accept it as a part of the coastline.

      Delete
  9. I love your photography of local scenes in the snow and the you-tube video is wonderful . Isn't it amazing how the artist can paint the sea in all it's moods !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glorious photos, how wonderful to be able to gaze out to sea every day. The colour of the sky in that last picture is astonishing, and very beautiful. Let's hope there is a little spring soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely disconcerting to see snow near the sea in a usually kind climate. Is the snow staying, or melted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to get out quickly and captured as it didn't last long Diana - it had gone the following day whereas inland it was much thicker and was around for many more days. Sarah x

      Delete
  12. Lovely snowy photos. Thanks so much for the book suggestion. My husband just bought the kindle version for 99 cents! Love your part of the world a certain wild aspect to it!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your husband will enjoy it as much as me. Having had an ancestor who was a master of a ship during that period I have found it fascinating. Let me know what he thought of it. Sarah x

      Delete
  13. I don't think I'd get a lot done if I lived by the sea, I waste too much time just watching the waves! Lovely photos as always, interesting to see a bit of snow on the coast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah,

    I enjoyed coming by for a visit and you have shared such wonderful photos.
    You can beat seeing the sea, and it has such a calming effect and always makes me happy.
    Hope Spring will arrive there soon, the snow would have been a surprise, after thinking Spring was on its way.
    Hope you are enjoying the week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos of the sea, the snow on a seascape seems strange to me.
    I loved the paintings of Ivan Aivazovsky ...not only beautiful colours, but each telling such a story of history......how tough sea faring people were, battling the big storms, and surviving (quite often!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. "An everywhere of silver." Emily Dickinson

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well , we have just come home to Cornwall after a wonderful sunny and warm Valentine's Day , fossil hunting on Charmouth Beach . Cant wait to visit again !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah the snow on the seascapes is completely enchanting. I love the contrast of the shadows. That first photo is quite interesting to me, then there is the pink house and the yellow cottage precariously perched. I feel I must hold my breath for it. Your reading sounds interesting. I'm off to watch the video. xo Kim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!