Through the Garden Gate August 2018

There is definitely a feel of the start of Autumn in the garden this month and the weather has returned back to normal after the higher temperatures of May, June and July. The hydrangeas are currently in full bloom, they are so popular in seaside locations as they suit the conditions.



The flowers and scent from the honeysuckle has been replaced by some vibrant red berries, that stand out against the green surroundings.





This time of year the dahlias are in the stars in the flower borders, with such huge and colourful blooms.


I also enjoy the way the annual sweet peas and mallow create a wildness all of their own!


The roses are producing a second flush of flowers.


We are enjoying an abundance of tomatoes picked straight from the vine.



The grapes are getting larger although only a few are starting to turn colour. 


 The cutting patch is in full of flower and buzzing with visiting insects.


With the return of the rain, the garden is looking so much greener and the lawn needs an urgent cut!

How has your garden been this month? If you would like to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site.  





Comments

  1. The beautiful flowers in your garden puts mine to shame.

    It is still hot and humid here. The tomatoes are doing really well though. We eat them direct from the vine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, your garden is great. You are right about hydrangeas. My garden, though still in flower, is on the wane. Too little rain and heat are hard on my plants. And yes, I can see a few signs of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see your garden was not harmed by the heat and draught. It is as beautiful as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dahlias are looking wonderful, ours have been very disappointing this year. Love your cutting garden with those beautiful cosmos. Amazing how quickly the grass recovers. I dare say ours will need a cut again on our return from England. B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking wonderfully green and lush .. And lucky you having rain ... We have had the bare minimum this year. I ' m going to plant more dahlias in the garden as they are very hardy... Yours look lovely. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah: Your dahlias are SO gorgeous! I try each year but they just don't get lush and large: it's the heat I am sure. But my garden is actually doing very well for this time of year! Here is the link to my post this month: http://bit.ly/2LKpKw6

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking wonderful Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still playing catch up.
    http://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2018/08/false-bay-garden-and-water-in-august.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strange to think of hydrangeas as happy by the sea. Here they prefer damp and shady gardens (like the high rainfall around Kirstenbosch) or a very sheltered under trees setting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sarah,

    Your garden is looking beautiful and love your pretty hydrangeas, roses and dahlias. It is so neat that you are able to pick ripe tomatoes off the vine.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flowers!! Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers. Those are particularly lovely with a different edge to each petal if I am not wrong. Thanks for sharing the beauty of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how very beautiful...really lovely! ive been catching up with a coffee...enjoying your posts. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, the rain has certainly made everything very lush. Very envious of your dahlias. They don't do well for me.. I blame the slugs!
    I'm trying to get back into the swing of things after all the house renovation work.. here's my link, belatedly I know, my apologies.
    https://www.rustyduck.net/2018/09/04/sliding-softly-into-autumn/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden was looking delightful in these photos! I spent a week in Cornwall recently, I hadn't been since I was a child and was amazed how many hydrangeas I saw there, in the hedges along the lanes, and well, everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! Those tomatoes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dahlia are looking fantastic. Either you must have been putting on loads of water or you have not had the dryness we have had!
    Here is my link https://glebehouse.wordpress.com/2018/08/31/end-of-month-view-august-2018/

    ReplyDelete
  17. The garden is definitely looking better now we have had rain and aren't the colours lovely? Your dahlias look great, I didn't get any in this year. I'm very late doing my post this month, Sarah, here it is
    http://margaretspatch.blogspot.com/2018/09/through-garden-gate-august.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!