Through the Garden Gate August 2019


We have been enjoying sharing our garden with lots of visiting insects this month. It seems that most flower images have included an insect or two!




Other aspects have not been so welcome, gales of over 60 miles per hour caused three huge fence panels each measuring 5 foot wide and 6 foot tall were blown over to an angle of 45 degrees onto the neighbouring footpath. This was the day before the Jurassic run, whose route uses the footpath! We managed to prop it up with half an hour to spare!

 

The overall colouring in the borders seems less intense. Although there are some bursts of colour in small patches. We couldn't come home empty handed when we spied this bronze Rudbeckia at the garden centre.

 Rudbeckia Summerina Orange


Helianthus Lemon Queen

The cutting border was battered by the gales too, one cosmos plant was blown out of the ground! As the wind blew I rushed around cutting the long stalks down to prevent any further damage. The plants don't seem to have minded the heavy cut and three weeks later are looking good again!

Cosmos


 Shasta Daisy 'Crazy Daisy' - the flowerheads are huge and frilly

I am particularly pleased with this Crazy Daisy I bought the seeds last year and the propagation was unsuccessful, I didn't hold out much hope this year when I tried again, it was worth the second attempt.


This month it has felt that summer is slowly winding down, our Autumn raspberries Joan J have been huge and tasty! There is a tint of red on the vine leaves and early mornings are slowly beginning to feel cold and damp,



What are the highlights in your garden this month?
It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site, it is always fantastic to see a range of gardens from all around the world, and share our love of gardening. Apologies my post is late this month unlike other participants!




                                                               Sarah x

Comments

  1. Lovely to have that long, wide, open view from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ever seen trees blown over, never plants blown out of the ground. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gale mid August was a shocker. Fence panels are often a victim. Glad you were able to repair yours in time. The orange rudbeckia is lovely as are your cosmos. I’ve grown the same shade this year but they are only just flowering. I was very late planting them. Chilly here morning and evening. Autumn is on its way :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been very windy here, but not so bad as where you are. The garden is winding down here too, but there are bursts of colour still. We've had a lot of rain and sharp showers and it's turned chilly. Altogether definitely autumnal. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful spot to sit. I love the new rudbeckia, so pretty. It's still looking lovely in your garden, it looks as though you've been working hard. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah! What beautiful photos! I especially love the one with the light gleaming through the butterflie's wings! Enjoy this gentle month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking for a flower poem...just read loads of them...
    But! This one 'STILL' takes a lot of beating....

    I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud......
    By William Wordsworth...

    I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
    When all at once I saw a crowd,
    A host, of golden daffodils;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

    Continuous as the stars that shine
    And twinkle on the milky way,
    They stretched in never-ending line
    Along the margin of a bay:
    Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

    The waves beside them danced; but they
    Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
    A poet could not but be gay,
    In such a jocund company:
    I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
    What wealth the show to me had brought:

    For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember learning that beautiful poem at school in primary school.I didn't realise until I move to this part of the county that William Wordswoth lived in Dorset for two years near Pilson. https://www.dorsetlife.co.uk/2014/02/a-new-start-a-final-stop/

      Delete
  8. I have been amazed and delighted to see how many more insects there are around this year. We have seen bees, butterflies and dragonflies virtually every day. The seating area you've created by the field must be a lovely place for you to wind down!
    Here's my link for this month: https://www.rustyduck.net/2019/08/29/just-passing/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos Sarah. Echinops is always a magnet for bees but the flowers seem to have been very short lived this year in Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your weather is calmer for September than it was for August with no more gales. You have some fabulous blooms -- I'm in love with your 'Crazy Daisy'. Thank you for linking to my blog. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures...as always!
    Have a beautiful week, take care :)
    Titti

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!