Through the Garden Gate May 2018


Nature has completely transformed the garden in May. The bluebells and tulips and the wild garlic that were the highlight of last month have  all gone over, and have been replaced by so many other  lovely plants.


 The purple and white versions of Mattihola incanula have filled the garden with colour and wonderful scent.



Our broad beans have also been growing well and  I am looking forward to picking our first crop this weekend. I much prefer the eating beans when they are small.


 We have lots of perennial geranium plants and these have also started flowering in perfusion this month.

I love watching the growth on the perennial poppy, as the outer petals open to reveal the flower inside. We always seem to get rain when this happens each year and the flowers never seem the same afterwards.



The clematis have also started flowering , the flowers of this one is huge!


Some changes in the garden are well thought out ,and others happen in an afternoon with no pre-planning. We  suddenly decided to cut some hazel bushes we had down to waist height, (they were previously 12 foot), it has given us an amazing view of the neighbouring field. An extra bonus is that we have noticed so many more birds flying by.

What is happening in your garden this month? If you would like to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site.  A big welcome to Edwina from Norfolk Scribbles has joined us for the first time this month.

                                                                Norfolk Scribbles

                                                         Elephant's Eye on False Bay

Comments

  1. Your garden is looking so lush this month. Beautiful geranium and clematis. What a great idea to extend your view, I’m sure you’ll appreciate it. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful . . . there is nothing I like better this time of the year than being in the garden. Then the next best thing is visiting my sweet blogging sister's gardens. Thank you for the lovely tour.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That royal purple Clematis is beautiful. I'm still looking for our indigenous clematis (small white flowers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your beautiful garden posts, Sarah. Our plants are beginning to grow now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such green fingers Sarah. It looks so lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks lovely Sarah - I am really enjoying the garden this year as everything seems to be flowering madly as if breathing a sigh of relieve following our long hard winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful, absolutely beautiful. That clematis flower is stunning. And I love how pretty it is around your bird table. Not long till broad beans I think! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want this season to last, always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers! I watched an episode of Escape To The Country last night and it was in Dorset so it reminded me of you. Wishing a lovely day for us both!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we were in England earlier this month we only had rain two evenings, but back home there was so much rain that we came home to our garden bursting with growth! Now we have lots of flowers throughout the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poppies are great as they start to emerge. I think mine have finally succumbed to our poorly drained soil this year, but I can't live without them. I'll have to find a better spot. Thanks for being ahead of me with the link.. reciprocated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful flowers, Sarah. Thanks for posting. I just typed to Barbara that I will try to get a post worthy photo of our Grace Ward Lithodora . It would be fun if I can get a photo of one of the little bumble bees that love it, too :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How lovely your garden is looking - a little ahead of mine as ever, so nice to think what I have to look forward to. We are having gabulous weather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post. We have had such an amazing May this year, a real Spring heatwave. Your garden is looking pretty. I would love some of those big poppies in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful! I just love your garden...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is looking beautiful! So green and so colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is looking wonderful, Sarah. Really lush with lots of beautiful flowers. Hardy geraniums are such good-value plants, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden is looking lovely, Sarah. I think your plants are a bit further on than ours in the North

    ReplyDelete
  19. May has been such a good month for colour in the garden with all the rain and sunshine we've had. I do love poppies but they seem to be over so quickly - same with geraniums, although I'm about to cut my geraniums back in the hopes of a second flush of flowers. Work on the perennial flower garden continues here, hopefully I'll be able to join in with your end of month review soon! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  20. You obviously have eclectic tastes and this is reflected in a very interesting garden. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have just found your blog - and what a delight! I hope that you and your readers might enjoy my garden notes, and other things, on my blog, the running wave, which I usually describe as giving observational chat. This is my garden's second year. When we moved here (15 miles east of Edinburgh) the tiny garden was empty, except for one lovely little white geranium which is more or less growing out of the wall. I have crammed as much in to a very small herbaceous border, and so far so good! Is that a lovage plant I spy in your vegetable garden? Looking forward to visiting your blog again and again! Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!