Through the Garden Gate March 2020


Welcome to my garden this month, suddenly with the lockdown there has been the opportunity to spend more time to enjoy the garden. For many of us over the next few months, our gardens will be a way to escape from being inside. They will also provide us with work, pleasure and food as well as a chance to appreciate nature and the wildlife that share our gardens.  As I was cleaning the greenhouse windows I must have disturbed a mouse that ran away with a very wet head!

Thalia daffodils

Double daffodil
 

The Helleborus lentern roses have been wonderful, they have been flowering for the past two months and as they are positioned just outside our conservatory window they have provided a wonderful outlook to the field beyond.



The buoy that is a permanent feature in the garden is gradually disappearing as the bluebells grow up around it.


I was so pleased to see the Crazy Daisy I grew from seed reappearing, it's leaves looking so lovely in the early morning light.


We are looking forward to seeing the tulips bloom in the next month.  Do you know that due to the coronavirus the world-famous gardens at Keukenhof have opened their gardens to view through their Visit Keukenhof  Facebook page? Their displays are fantastic and it is such a treat to regularly pop by for their latest post.







Our daughter who suffers from asthma is unable to go to work. Her help in the garden has been invaluable as we start to plant and plan this season's vegetable patch, which will hopefully supply us with so much needed fresh produce over the coming months.


 The broad beans have gone in (see above) and we have planted a few peas to use as pea shoots.


The rocket in the greenhouse is already providing us with some tasty salad leaves.


Our local visitor centre in West Bay had planned to have a plant sale in May,  last year the charity raised nearly £100. We now need to find somewhere in the garden to put the 70 plants that we were raising from cuttings. 



It is always wonderful to see other gardens especially at the moment when we need to a postive distraction. Maybe you have thought about joining us but haven't had the time? If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site, it is always fantastic to see a range of gardens from all around the world, and share our love of gardening. It would be lovely to see even more gardens joining during the lockdown.


Comments

  1. Your garden always make me smile! My garden is under snow and will be for the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much promise in your nice fat tulip buds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are always beautiful! It must be nice to have your daughter home with you. I hope it isn't a hardship for her not being able to work, though. I've been out in my garden but only have Tulips and various little bulbs flowering, but the bushes have all started leafing out and some trees, so not too long now for things to really get going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot going on in your garden at this wonderful time of the year. I'm impressed with your large vegetable garden -- I'm hoping to plant mine soon. I love this meme and I am happy to contribute again this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I am on the other side of the world (50 miles south of Nashville, Tennessee, USA), we too, are under a lock down. It hasn't stopped raining this month and it is driving me crazy. Just seeing your bright sunny blooms has cheered me up.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry
    Please add me to your list.
    http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2020/03/marchs-garden-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to wander around your garden. It’s looking lovely. Glad you have your daughter safe with you. I must get busy planting in my veg patch. B x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so lucky to be on lockdown with such a beautiful garden to enjoy! Mine is still a mess from when we bought this house. I did plan on doing something with it finally, this year, but then my current contract came up, plus another thing getting in the way of it, and now coronavirus means we can't get in a mini-digger as planned to start again! I shall look forward to seeing how your garden grows this spring with all the extra attention it's getting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to see your garden growing and the progress it is making. I have been enjoying my new garden very much, and am excited about how things may grow in it. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Sarah. Aren't we lucky to have our gardens to enjoy at this time? The hellebores do last a long time, mine are still in flower. I planted broad beans at the allotment this week, I think a lot of people might be thinking of growing their own veg this year. Keep safe. Here is my latest garden blog: https://margaretspatch.blogspot.com/2020/04/through-garden-gate-march-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, Sarah. Your garden is music to my heart. you have such a beautiful variety of bulbs and flowers.
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    Stay well.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sarah,

    It was so lovely to visit you again and see your gorgeous garden. It is wonderful to see all the pretty plants and vegetables. Must be great having your daughter help out.
    We have had the driest summer and so far have had to buy three tanker loads of water to fill up our water tank. So sadly we lost a lot of plants, due to lack of water, to name a couple, two large round ball buxus that did not endure. I am going to have to rethink of what I plant and maybe get plants that are a little more drought resistant. Thanks for sharing the link for the Keukenhof garden and took a look, gorgeous!
    Stay well and enjoy your garden
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! Surely nice to see green healthy plants!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so lovely to see your garden, Sarah. I think we all need as much brightness as possible at the moment. I hope that your tulips are all out now; mine seemed to bloom early this year and some have already gone over with the warm weather we've had over the past week. It's the same with the hellebores, all looking rather messy now and I have to thin out lots of honesty seedlings from just the one plant I had in the border last year! It did look lovely in midwinter though with those lovely white oval seed cases. Veg wise I'm ploughing on with seed sowing and fruit bushes are well underway in the veg patch. (There's an end of March look at the veg patch if you want to include it - I'll try and be a bit more timely at the end of April!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pictures from a lovely garden!
    Take care and have a lovely weekend now...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  15. and April
    https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2020/04/april-our-false-bay-garden-covid-kms.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!