Days at home


After over a week of lockdown, days take a slower pace. The jobs outstanding around the house and the garden that have been neglected over for the past two years are tackled more slowly and carefully.  Thankfully we are still allowed to have one walk a day and we have continued to take the usual dog walking routes at quieter times of the day.


Last weekend as the sun shone and after the announcement of the lockdown on Friday evening West Bay was still packed with visitors.  It has been a real concern to locals with the understandable fear that the infection (already in the area in small numbers) could escalate and create extra pressure on our hard-pressed local hospitals.

We weren't the only location to be affected as large numbers headed to the coast or decided to travel to more isolated areas such as Cornwall, and Highlands & Islands. Thankfully holiday parks were ordered to shut on Sunday and second homeowners have been told to stay in their main place of residence. The police have also stopped and questioned some of those turning up to visit the Bay.




We do appreciate how lucky we are to live here and to be able to get outside and since our street party three years ago our neighbours all know each other. We stood outside our homes on Thursday evening to clap those in the NHS.  Instead of the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, we heard the sound of claps and cheering resounding across the valley from Bridport 2 miles (3km) away.

Our central heating boiler broke down this week, we were so grateful that someone was able to come out and fix it quickly in the circumstances. I was quite scary having someone else in the house and we took lots of steps to make it safe for him and us. 


 With the sun shining all week it has been a chance to get out in the garden and watch the wildlife and notice how the growth of the plants change each day apart from lack of growth from our seed planting!


 It's not surprising how quickly the sunflower seeds disappear with the number of birds visiting the feeder!


With more time on my hands, I decided to try making some nettle soup. Something I have been meaning to try for years. We were pleasantly surprised how good it tasted usually we don't view ourselves as being fortunate to have lots of stinging nettles close by!  This is the recipe I used is here. My husband wasn't so keen on eating some comfrey it is meant to have a taste similar to a cucumber but with a very different texture!



How are you coping with the change in lifestyle? Stay safe and well.
Sarah x

Comments

  1. Lovely photos as ever. It's all much the same here - dog walks, gardening, enjoying the birdsong. Oh, and boys driving each other bananas. You have reminded me I need to put some more food out on the bird table. I've attached some sheep's wool to the top of it as well for some soft nest building. No takers yet, but no doubt there will be soon. I collect it on walks in the countryside and keep it in a kitchen drawer until spring. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I am happy to hear you are doing well in spite of the lock down.

    We are two weeks into it here and doing OK. No gardening here yet but we walk every day it is possible and reading, blogging, cooking and the like fill the days. I miss the grandkids the most. We only see them via technology now, not the same as those hugs and kisses we normally share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had several warm-enough, rain-free days that I've been out in my garden. It has helped a great deal. We aren't in lockdown, just social distancing, so we are free to come and go as often as we want, just not in groups of more than 10 people. But we are only going out to grocery shop about once every two weeks at this point. Not seeing our grandchildren has been the hardest part, but we are seeing them on FaceTime at least. I'm glad you are faring well enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In these times we should be happy that we live surrounded by nature. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your days are full of good things. We’ve just had the news that we are now in lockdown tonight. Strange times. Thank goodness for our gardens and living so close to the sea. Just need the sunshine to last. Take care. B x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are able to get out, you are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. People are behaving very badly heading to popular resorts like West Bay in large numbers, it can only spread the virus more. I wonder if Bridport is as busy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to following the guidelines in Bridport from what I have heard.

      Delete
  7. That all looks very lovely, though I might comment mildly that Scotland as a whole isn't an "isolated" area! It's funny how "lockdown" has become a normal word nowadays, isn't it? Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I meant Highlands and Islands rather than Scotland - now amended!

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos! Spring flowers are always so welcome after winter.
    Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nettle soup is intriguing! Our old garden used to have loads but we've only got a few here so far (lots of Bindweed- pity that's not edible!) What did you do to make it?
    Yes, I can understand the visitors are worrying- here in Southend, there have been loads of people on the beaches apparently. My husband went off on a solitary cycle last weekend and saw the beaches heaving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be a worry living in such a lovely place that visitors will invade and spread the virus. The fields around us are so busy with people, so I go out first thing in the morning in an effort to avoid them. Planning to make nettle scones today as I never get on very well with nettle soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are having the same problem here in Maine with people migrating from more congested, infected areas. Some overzealous, angry people on an island near here felled a tree across the driveway of a home with out-of-state license plates to force the people there to "self-isolate." Pretty ugly, especially since the out-of-staters had been there for well over a month--before the virus reared its ugly head. Crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah, I am glad that you and yours are well and coping with the new normal, and I am very heartened by your description of the far reaching applause for the NHS! Your soup sounds very interesting. I have been making chicken/meatloaf/ham soup daily with cabbage carrots and celery...healthy and somehow comforting. Thanks for all the lovely photos of the beauty around you. I am so grateful for the technology that is allowing us to encourage those we love around the world with posts/texts/emails and online gatherings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am actually loving the new way of life right now. I do feel a bit guilty thinking that way as I know many people are not having such a good time but for me, the extra time at home is brilliant. I was working from home last week but that gave me flexibility and I was able to take longer lunch breaks to enjoy a walk from home (I clocked up 16 miles, Monday to Friday, which would be almost impossible in a normal work week and I'd not have such pleasant locations for it normally either!). Now I've been furloughed, which again, I know is bad for some people, but I can live just fine on 80% of the pay and I really can't believe my luck to have basically been given two months off work whilst still receiving most of the pay!

    It sounds like you are making the most out of your extra time at home. I'm planning to do the same... I have a lot of books I didn't think I was going to have time to read this year, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had to have the plumbers out as well, Sarah - luckily all fixed now although it (rather scarily) took several visits. I've seen similarly selfish behaviour here - I'm told that Hampstead Heath is heaving with people on a sunny day and my neighbours have their family and grandchildren over quite frequently. I'm worried that people are getting lax about the virus and behaving stupidly, particularly as my niece is one of the carers, having taken on extra duties to help district nurses with their elderly people. I'm pleased to read that you're still able to pick a time to get out safely for dog walking, I imagine that's fairly essential!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!