Through the Garden Gate April 2020

It has been a wonderful month in the garden this month, and one of the advantages of the lock-down has been the opportunity to spend lots of time in the garden!


The star plants in the garden have been the tulips. I was too late last Autumn in treating myself to a tulip collection from Sarah Raven and so bought a pack of tulips from our fantastic local garden centre instead. They were planted in my new cutting border, but they have looked too good to cut until today when 40 mile-an-hour winds have broken their stems.

Tulip Graceland

It is difficult to choose a favourite tulip as they all have different characteristics, Tulip Graceland has been tall and elegant with the pink streaks getting stronger as the flower matures. The tulips below have been so pretty and remind me of peonies. I was delighted to be reunited with Tulip Angelique I bought some in 2013, lost the label and have been wondering what they were called ever since see here.

Tulip Mount Tacoma (white) and Tulip Angelique (pale pink) dark burgundy Queen on Night in the background

Tulip Purissima & Tulip Negrita


These red tulips were planted in the Autumn of 2014 they were a collection of 3 varieties - these are the only variety that has survived. Have you had any tulips that reappear year after year?

You may have noticed probably over the last year that 'Through the Garden Gate' has not often shown wide angles of the garden often because parts of it haven't been completely up to scratch until now!



There has been lots of blossom on the Apple trees, which has been compensation for missing the blossom in the Community Orchard that we can't visit at the moment.

Yellow forsythia


Spanish Bluebells in the garden


With extra time on our hands we have even managed to redesign the front garden, which has been on our wish list for a number of years. This sadly meant our fig tree being taken out, but now means we can enjoy more views of the sea and any delivery drivers are more likely to find the house! Although the tree was barely in leaf our daughter ended up with a huge rash from it - obviously the tree's revenge! We managed to take a cutting so there will still be a fig tree in the garden.

It is obviously not a good idea to redesign a garden when it is not easy to buy plants. Our local garden centre was able to deliver some and we have used some from the cuttings for a fundraising plant sale that will not now be taking place! We will continue to change things here (the old lavender on the left will be removed once it has flowered) in the meantime we are pleased with the progress so far in limited circumstances!


It is always wonderful to see other gardens especially at the moment when we need a positive distraction. Maybe you have thought about joining us but haven't had the time? If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site, it is always fantastic to see a range of gardens from all around the world, and share our love of gardening. It would be lovely to see even more gardens joining during the lockdown.
Hope you are all staying well and safe.
Sarah

Comments

  1. This is so beautiful! A feast for the eyes. Thank you for sharing it with us, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tulips are still looking lovely. Ours finished a couple of weeks ago. I love the peony style tulips most. Good that you have had more time to spend in your garden. It is looking lovely. Hopefully your garden centres will open so. Fortunately ours were given essential status. What a difference that has made. A little bit of sanity in a crazy world. B x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fig tree sap is devilish stuff isn't it. I love tulip Angelique, I grew it last year and it reminded me of peonies. The Negrita looks beautiful as well, sensational colour. I am envying your sea views, it must be wonderful to be able to look out and see it every day. Your garden is looking absolutely gorgeous, you've obviously been working hard. Let's hope there's some more sun now, I had got quite used to the summer weather! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beautiful garden gives me hope for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely to see some different views of your garden. Those tulips are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is certainly looking spectacular now!

    Our plant sales cancelled and nurseries closed - and I prefer not to mail order plants (even if I could??)
    A different sort of fun challenge to redistribute exuberance to expectant holes. The glaucous succulent now starring in the 3 pots on the patio off the kitchen were across the path in our front garden. Paths open, pots filled with interest - and the plants are looking perkier too.

    Is your daughter able to eat figs? Allergic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she can eat figs without it affecting her . After we noticed the rash we looked on the internet and there were some awful pictures of how it had burnt the skin. Apparently the tree produces latex twice a year that contains acid.

      Delete
  7. Your tulips are absolutely beautiful. They are one of my favorites but I can't grow them. They bloom the first year, half return the next and then none the third. My zone is 6b/7a so I'm just in the wrong zone.
    Your garden looks great from all of the hard work you have put into it. At least there has been one good thing that has come from this horrible virus situation.
    Please add my garden to your list. I'm focusing more on the vegetables now than flowers. Our grocery stores shelves are not being restocked very well and it is troubling. (USA, Southern Middle Tennessee)
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry
    http://getmetothecountry.blogspot.com/2020/04/aprils-garden-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your April garden is stunning, Sarah. So many beautiful spring blooms, especially your tulips. Tulips are the deer's favorite food here so I can't grow them. But I do have one that reappears every year -- it is in a spot the deer can't find. As you will see when you read my end of month view, the weather has been awful here, so I haven't done as much work as you. Your garden looks so well cared for. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking lovely, Sarah. Its been great to have more time to spend making our gardens look good. It really has been a lovely month for tulips, mine are going over now but they have been beautiful.
    https://margaretspatch.blogspot.com/2020/05/through-garden-gate-april-2020.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tulips are very beautiful. The pink ones are great. You did a big job rearranging the garden. I hope you daughter is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sarah,
    Your garden is breathtaking! I only wish I had as many flowers. All I have are my roses and lavender. If I can manage to take some photos, I will share on my next post. This is the first time in about 2 years that my roses have bloomed. I thought I had lost them all. With nature you just never know what is in store for tomorrow.
    Stay safe and healthy
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can join us next month Penny and we can enjoy your flowers too. Sarah x

      Delete
  12. Beautiful post Sarah! Indeed a well kept garden with lovely flowers. Those tulips are incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!