Through the Garden Gate May 2023


I love being out in the garden at this time of the year there is always something new to see! The alliums have been fantastic this month and I love the colour combination of yellow and purple.  We have been busy planting out plants grown from seed. The new plants have needed watering, it has been a dry May so now all our water butts are now almost empty and we are wishing for rain after the half-term school holidays!






We have more plant growth than flowers at the moment, the roses have lots of promising buds but few  flowers.

Have you been taking part in No Mow May? We have been experimenting with a small section of our lawn although the insects seem to prefer visiting the abundance of flowers elsewhere in the garden.


Just look at this image of a close up of a garden daisy under the microscope it is amazing how much pollen there is to collect from the tiny daisies found in your lawn!


We have shared lots of cuttings of our favourite plants for our son and daughter to grow in their gardens. It was nice to have a plant back in exchange, these golden iris look stunning!





In the last few days the ox eye daisies have come out in flower and the odd rose has just started flowering. I have been looking in envy the last few days at lots of Instagram rose images!


 What are the highlights in your garden this month?

It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site. 

Comments

  1. The weather here has been lovely recently and very dry so our borders are very dry too. It is nice to see lots of buds on the flowers so we know soo there will be more opening up. May has been lovely in the garden but June might be even better! https://margaretspatch.blogspot.com/2023/05/through-garden-gate-may.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the purple colour, we are in the 1st day of Winter here so not alot flowering except calendula in my vege garden and lemons on the citrus trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always lovely to see other gardens from the other side of the world when we are experiencing winter too.

      Delete
  3. We’ve been doing ‘No mow May’ and will probably continue it because we’ve had no rain for quite some time! We’ve also been planting wild flower plug plants in the lawn. I think it must’ve been a good year for Alliums as ours have been lovely too, although I didn’t plant the largest variety. The Alliums at Plant World, a nursery near us, are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been had Plant World on my list of places to visit for ages! I want to plant even more alliums next year!

      Delete
  4. It is wonderful that you are sharing plants from your garden with your son and daughter. They will always think of you warmly when they see the blooms. You are a good mom!

    We don't participate in "No Mow May" even though I think it is a good idea. We are in the country. Ticks love tall grass so we keep everything around the house short to avoid an infestation. When we first bought the house, the yard was covered in ticks so badly that we had to get chickens to clear the area before my children could play outside. We would get them on our shoes just walking out to get in the car! We swore never again! My husband mows our yard regularly now.

    Isn't it amazing how every part of the world is so different.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that No Mow May is carried out in America too! Ticks are common here but it sounds as they were more numerous with you!

      Delete
  5. The alliums are my favourite but everything looks so lush and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is mine, catching the sun in between the winter weather
    https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2023/06/may-and-our-false-bay-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I covet alliums. The colour, the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The purple alliums are wonderful. It is very nice that you share some plants with your kids. I have some peonies my mum gave me about two decades ago and I still love them. I'm a little late, but I would be happy to join yours Through the garden gate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Allium is a stunning flower. Not something that grows here. Your garden will bring you so much pleasure in the coming weeks as all the buds unfurl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden, as always , is looking stunning. I try to grow alliums but they only seem to last a season or two. Do you replace yours regularly ? I should imagine your roses will be out any second. Such a beautiful time of year. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks beautiful. Our alliums have also done really well this year. I too like a purple yellow combination and have a lovely yellow leaved Choisia planted next to a Cotinus coggygria Royal Purple . When the sunlight shines through the leaves the effect is stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!