Through the Garden Gate June 2023

June is always the best month in our English garden. The roses have been especially beautiful and bountyful everywhere! This seems to be due the warm summer last year followed by the long cold winter and then the cold damp spring so maybe we shouldn't have been complaining so much about the weather! I have had diffculty choosing the images this month to share,so apologies that there are so many. I have just realised that were another 6 roses that I have excluded!

Shrub Rose - Felicia

Rambling Rose - possibly Paul's Himalyan Musk rose


Rose - Constance Spry


Rambler Rose- Apple Blossom you can see why it got it's name!



Rose - Dortmund


Rose - For Your Eyes Only


 I have just realised that were another 6 roses that I have excluded!

I wish I could have share the smell of the garden with you too.We now have about 50 foot (15metres) of hedging that is covered in two varieties of honeysuckle. Our Sambucus nigra (purple elder bush) sweetpeas and philadelphus has also been full of scent. We were away for a week in June and had a very kind neighbour who came in the evening to water the greenhouse and the pots and she told us the scent was fantastic.


Sambucus nigra (purple elder bush)


Philadelphus Snowbelle - Mock orange

 
Our huge Cordyline has been smoothed in spikes of fragent tiny flowers that have been attracting the bees.

 
Elsewhere in the garden the oxeye daisies have been putting on a good show as has the catmint and the yellow loosestrife. I always love the combination of yellow and purple.



Poppies are also abundant in the garden this month, I was delighted to discover a double pink one that emerged in the gravel. 


It is always lovely to welcome the perennial oriental poppies and the peonies although their flowers don't last long.


While we were away an overnight rainstorm was equivalent to 66% of the average rainfall for the month! The plants enjoyed this downpour and had all shot up in such a short period. It was so good to have full water barrels too!



 What are the highlights in your garden this month?

It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site. 




Comments

  1. Your garden is amazing! I love the Sambucus and the contrast of the flowers and foliage.

    Your roses are beautiful. I love the Apple Blossom rambler and one of my favourites is,’For Your Eyes Only’; in my previous garden it just went on and on and on with its flowers!

    I’m in South Devon and we have a hosepipe ban right now; very little rain has fallen during May and June. Is it similar in Dorset?

    I would imagine that the scent in your garden is amazing too! All very lovely! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sal, It's lovely to hear from you I remember being in closer contact with you years ago! No we don't have a hosepipe ban in Dorset (or in 2022). I think it is because most of our water supplies come from deep underground rather than reserviors. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I do remember you! I’ve tried to keep going with my blog ever since then but so many of the old regulars have disappeared! Your blog inspires me no end! 😁

      Delete
    3. I have found so many old Blogger friends on Instagram. I struggle these days to find time to share posts about our amazing coastline on blogger.

      Delete
  2. Glorious! Enlarging the photos is quite a treat. Just magnificent! I can imagine the scent!


    We tied up our peonies yesterday.They will be blooming over the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never apologize for too many pictures. There is no such thing when your garden looks as fantastic as yours does. All the work you have done has paid off.

    So glad you got rain. It is thundering here so my husband went out to mow the grass. He said if he did that, it would certainly rain.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! I just love roses...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deep in mid-winter here, but we have sun today
    https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2023/07/june-and-our-false-bay-garden.html

    Yellow and purple does make the heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden is amazing! The roses are gorgeous! There are never too many pictures of beautiful gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking lovely and what a lot of roses you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that last photo a picked bouquet? It's gorgeous! My Maryland garden does not cater to the needs of roses because by June we have high humidity. There is always black spot and Japanese Beetle damage in July. The gardener never does anything other than fertilize them. I think I need to speak to my gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent! The scents would be amazing and I agree, there can never be too many images when they showcase such beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!