Through the Garden Gate August 2024

 As the hours of daylight start to fall again it was good to be reminded to make the most of the last days of summer, when the opportunity arises! The weather has continued to be mixed this month - there doesn't seem to have been too many beach days in August for the holiday makers visiting West Bay. It has either been too windy, the sea too choppy or the days filled with rain. The water butts have filled up in the garden, but the pots have dried up quickly in the windy conditions. This is the view from one of our seating areas and is a pleasure to look at as I turn the pages of a book I am reading!

We seem to have escaped to the garden many times this month and hubby has transformed an area that was just grass that edged on to the gravel with a new plant area and stepping stones. (A great excuse to go out and buy some new plants from local nurseries!) Jack our cat was delighted with a new fresh area of soil and put in a sit-in protest when he realised that plants were going in there!




Can you spot Tavi in the photo below I didn't realise he was there, it just shows the pets love and use the garden as much as we do!


I bought this clematis below 2 years ago but in the spring I cut the wrong branch and lost it, the slugs and snails kept eating the new growth that kept appearing. I then searched everywhere locally for a new plant to no avail. Some stories however have happy endings, it  did manage to regenerate. Although it was meant to be climbing the fence not the apple tree I am so delighted to see it again and it does look lovely amongst the apples!


We bought this Little Lime Hydrangea to brighten a dark corner of the garden. A couple of years ago I tried a large pale Hydrangea and it died despite hydrangeas loving coastal conditions. I hope I will manage better with this specimen, gardening can be such a gamble sometimes but the best thing is too not give up and try again!


Many of the roses in the garden are in their second flowering and are always a welcome sight.



What are the highlights in your garden this month?

It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site. 


Sarah x

Comments

  1. I can imagine how lovely it would be to sit and read in that garden. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks fantastic. No wonder Tavi loves it too. I couldn't find him in the picture even though I was determined. I had to zoom it 200 percent to find him but there he was soaking in the sunshine!
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading in the garden too when the weather is warm enough. Your rudbekias are amazing, mine are not doing very well this year. Our cat Holly enjoys our garden and is often wandering about or sitting in the sunshine. https://margaretspatch.blogspot.com/2024/08/through-garden-gate-august-2024.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its all looking good with so much colour. Highlights here are Spring blossoms and daffodils flowering in pots and in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having fought back, your Clematis will be much stronger - lovely colour!
    https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2024/09/august-in-our-false-bay-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the joy of reading a book in this garden of colour, nooks and no doubt wonderful scents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cats do love a bit of bare soil lol! Nice to have an excuse to redesign and add new plants. Love the lime hydrangea. One of my favourite plants although I’ve yet to grow my favourite blue colour despite adding nails etc to the soil. Everything is still looking very lush despite the fact autumn is close by. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a pale blue hydrangea in the garden when we moved here 10 years ago. Over the years it has changed colour to white which I prefer, I think it is because you rarely see blue hydrangeas in the seaside locations around here!

      Delete
    2. Yes I think the salt laden air helps to turn blue hydrangeas to pink.

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks fantastic! The roses are my favourite. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!