Through the Garden Gate September 2023

Whoops, I've done it again time has caught up with me and it is the end of the month before I know it! I have been busy pulling together an exhibition on the Second World War and so my mind hasn't been on the beauty of nature! As it is dark outside these are of images taken earlier in the month when the garden was looking at it's best! We had a storm two weeks ago with gale force winds that caused damage throughout the garden, the runner beans and sweet peas went over and the roses lost all their flowers and leaves.


The Rudbeckia and the Echinops have continued to look magnificent.


I grew this cobaea scandens from seed back in January although the flower is beautiful it hasn't generated many flowers and it needed attention over so many months that I'm not sure that I will do it again! Has anyone else grown this flower?


We are loving this dahlia which has given so many flowers this year. It even managed to survive in the garden in the harsh 2022 winter!

The garden has been full of insects, this wonderful aster has been literally buzzing! 




What are the highlights in your garden this month?

It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the garden gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site. 

Sarah x

Comments

  1. Amazing garden! I love the combination of yellow and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always looking lovely. Must get some Echinops, I love yours. The cobaea I grew from seed last year and I agree it’s hardly worth the effort. We too had very few flowers. It’s meant to be an annual but one plant survived and has twined itself to the top of the holly tree where I have to get a long lens on my camera to see the flowers. I have pictures on this months post. I call it the cup and saucer plant.
    Love the dahlia too. I left all mine in the soil last year and they survived well. I think you only have problems with very heavy waterlogged soil. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following your comment I will see if the cobaea survives the winter !

      Delete
  3. The globe thistles are beautiful this time of year. I will leave the seeds for the birds this year! Love your dahlias. My mother always grew them and they seemed to get bigger every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias went out of fashion for a while, there are so many varieties and they flower for a long time so will always remain favourites in my garden!

      Delete
    2. "Dahlias went out of fashion..." I didn't know that was a thing! How could something so beautiful be out of style? I guess it shows how little I know.
      I'm surprised yours survived the winter. It is hit and miss with me. They will return for a few years and then disappear. I have learned to always dig up at least a few and save as backup. Yours is beautiful.
      Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

      Delete
  4. I would love to see your WWII exhibition. We too had fierce storms, but not much damage to our garden. Roads and bridges suffered tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you didn't had much damage in the garden from the fierce storms.I'll share about thew WW2 if I we put something on line.

      Delete
  5. So sorry to read that your lovely garden suffered the wrath of the storm. Mine is suffering from lack of rain but as in your garden there will always be a plant that struggles on, to show its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully the wind has spread a few seeds. My calendula, geraniums and osteospermum have started flowering now that it's Spring here and my vege garden is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This time I am early. Squeezing in before November. https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/2023/10/false-bay-garden-october-gsb-digital-detox.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!