Through the Garden Gate September 2024

I am always reminded of  Harvest Festivals in September and the images from this month in the garden have that feel! Going to school in Kent (known as the Garden of England) the harvest festivals always had an abundance of fresh produce and the apples always dominated the display. The smell of them too was amazing.

I love it when nature takes charge - we had strong winds last week and the sunflowers are now leaning over the flower border and look so much better there!




I sowed some garlic chive seeds in the spring and we have been enjoying their flowers rather than cutting the leaves for flavouring and garnishes.


The greenhouse has been full of tomatoes ripening.



 The onions grown from seed are huge and will be useful in cooking over the winter.


We were away for a week in September and as it was heading towards the end of the season we didn't bother to get anyone to do any watering, the weather was warm and dry and luckily the garden didn't look the worse for the lack of water. When we returned home we picked all the apples, it was the best apple harvest we have ever had in this garden.


We have just celebrated our 10th Anniversary of living here -  how different the garden looks now! I don't think I shared these two images at the time! Although the raised borders and greenhouse were great there wasn't much else in the back garden!



I will close this post by sharing a few images of some amazing National Trust Gardens with great autumn colours that we visited on holiday.  At  Killerton  I loved this border overlooking the landscape packed with Salvias.










         The walled garden at Knighthayes was equally spectacular! I just need to incorporate some of those plant combinations into my garden now!


What are the highlights of your garden this month?

It is always wonderful to see other gardens and watch their development during the year. If you want to join in with Through the Garden Gate each month please let me know in the comments below and I will add your site. 




Comments